Skip to main content

Utila, Honduras

My parents were heading down to Utila which is a bay island off of the coast of Honduras. They didn't have to spend to much time convincing us to go down with them. We had a wonderful time scuba diving and spending Charlie's 3rd Birthday.

This is the small charter plane that we took to get out to the island once we got to San Pedro. We were sitting right behind the pilot... and I don't mean behind the cockpit doors.... I mean right behind the pilot looking out the same front window he was.


Approaching the island. This is a small little Cay that is covered with houses, please note this for future pictures of us exploring this amazing little Cay.

My parents have been very good friends with a wonderful Utilian family since the 70's when my dad was in the peace corp. They now own a small and beautiful resort that we were able to stay at, they were beyond hospitable. And we loved every moment that we got to spend with them.
This is the view from our bedroom.... pretty amazing!
Charlie at the beach collecting her water.
Jacob wanted to go scuba diving, I thought I would go along for maybe 1 dive. I had no plans of getting certified for open water, but we just kept going until it was only a couple more dives and we would have it. Now apparently (they say) we can go out on our own... without an instructor...just the two of us.... in the ocean.... I have NO plans for doing that anytime soon.

This is Jacob studying for our exams.


It was Charlie's 3rd birthday so of course we had a pinata for her.
This is my dad trying to explain to her that she shouldn't get to attached to the kitty... because well it doesn't have a bright future.
Playing at the beach by the resort.

There was actually quite a bit of book work that we had to do for the certification. Including 5 chapters to read, 4 exams and 1 overall final. All they really had to show me was the balloon that they blew up underwater and then took it to the surface, let it explode and then told me that will be my lungs if I didn't do what they told me to do. I focused.
Prior to taking on the ocean we practiced the whole breathing part in this pool. This is where she would do crazy things like turn off my air so I had to figure out what to do.... WHO ARE THESE CRAZY PEOPLE turning off the air of a perfectly good tank while we are underwater!!!

The before and after... see not the brightest future.
The super yummy pink strawberry birthday cake that Ms. Tonya made for Charlies birthday
This is Samer who was only a couple months older than Charlie. They were fast friends right from the start. He was a super sweet boy who actually kept her quiet during the church service that we went to. She will do anything for her Latin men.
Charlie's European look...
Heading out for one of our open water dives. We saw 3 puffer fish (you know the ones that blow up and get spikes on them) a big old barracuda and a huge sea turtle that we got to swim with for about 5 minutes. I am convinced that turtles are made for the water, as awkward as they are on land they are just floating perfection in the water. It is definitely something I will remember as long as I live.

This is the water Cay (remember the picture from the plane).

This is on our way back when we spent the day in San Pedro.

We had something called the "metro" which is literally a meter of meat... Jacob's heaven.
And the American Airlines captain let Charlie steer the plane on our way home. To be clear ... we were still on the ground.

Comments

amy said…
looks like an AMAZING time!!!
JoEllen said…
I am way beyond jealous over your trip. Next time you go to Central America, TAKE ME WITH YOU. I'll be your nanny or your personal luggage carrier or ANYTHING!
The Wagners said…
Loved reading this post! Great pics too...