Skip to main content

Big Sister

So one of the questions that I have been asked a lot lately is "How is Charlotte, now that she is a big sister?" I wondered that myself quite a bit before Claire was born, after all Charlotte is almost 4. Her world was all about her for a really long time, and I wasn't sure how she would do once she had to share that world.
It has been 7 weeks and she has ROCKED IT! I am so proud of her and can't believe what an amazing big sister she has become. The minute she gets home from pre-school she runs into the bathroom to wash her hands so that she can hold Claire, then she will sit still and hold her for a good 15 minutes. Not bad for a girl with a 10 minute attention span. Her new favorite activity is reading books to Claire at night before bed, she talks about how the toys, clothes, towels, bassinet etc. that used to be hers are now Claire's. She helps give her a bottle, a bath and a snuggle. If Claire gets fussy or an outright angry cry starts, Charlotte shows increadiable calm as we try to figure out what is wrong. If Jacob or I have to help Claire and she has to wait for her snack/toy/attention she will be patient.
Warning super sweet cheesey story ahead: When we were in Wisconsin Jacob and I thought it would be good to take Charlotte out alone without Claire for some time all by herself. We left Claire with Baba and Grammy and headed out for a little date. I made a comment to Charlotte about how fun this was that we could spend some time with just her and she replied, "Yeah, but we are missing Claire, this would be more fun with her cause she is our family."
I had a post a while ago regarding the thumbsucking, and our desperate attempts to get Charlotte to stop sucking her thumb. Well, we finally got to paint our nails! We have gone 7 weeks without so much as a suckle. However, it wasn't the pretty pink sparkly nails that finally did it. It was a small comment that I made about how I didn't want Claire to see Charlotte suck her thumb, or she might do it too. The moment that Claire was born Charlotte went cold turkey and hasn't touched that juicy left thumb since. She is taking her job as a big sister very seriously. Here is to the hope that someday I can use that again so that she won't smoke.

Comments