Skip to main content

Charlotte's Science Journal


(yes I am well aware that it is August, and I am just now posting the science journal Charlotte wrote in May, in my defense I did try to cheat and change the dates of this blog- but it insisted that I stay honest)


Day 1: May 7, 2012:
On day 1 my mother let me know that there was a nest on my porch.

The nest is in a bush, but not any kind of bush it is a Boston Fern that hangs in my porch. It hangs from a hook.

The mama bird laid four eggs.  Two of the eggs are blue, one of the eggs is white, also one of the mama bird's eggs has white all over it except it is not like the other white egg that is just plain white.  It has brown spots.

I hope that my dog does not get to the nest.  He can jump real high.  I know that the eggs will hatch because baby birds always have their eggs hatch.  They will be all different looking birds because the eggs look different.

by  Charlotte Amundson, age 6

Day 7: May 13, 2012:
One of the mama birds eggs hatched! 

It is its birthday since it was born today on Mothers day.  The mama bird is happy since it is born on Mothers day.  He will be just like Isabella my friend whose birthday is on Mothers day too.
If you look at the picture then the baby bird will look so cute, it was the one that was completely white with brown spots.   He had feathers that looked like white hair in spots, and there was skin all around him.   He opened his mouth when I saw him- He thought I was his mama bird, but I am not.
The other three eggs are still not hatched, I guess that those other eggs do not want to be born on mothers day.

by Charlotte Amundson, age 6

Day 9: May 15, 2012
Today we had 2 other baby birds hatch from their eggs.  One of the baby birds is white and is not moving.  So we don't know if it is asleep or dead.  That would be so sad if it was dead.  If it is dead we think that the mama bird will bury it.  The other two are moving, pink one of the mama birds eggs has fur all around it, it is really furry I would say.  There is still one white egg that has not hatched yet.
We got to watch the mama bird feed her baby birds.  Except not the one that hasn't hatched- cause you cant feed an egg.  Well... it would be funny if you could.

by Charlotte Amundson, age 6 and R. W., age 6 (Charlotte's funny cool friend)

Day 10: May 16, 2012
There were 4 eggs, only 3 birds are left because the 4th baby bird has died.  The mother bird has buried it, we don't know where she buried it because it might have been in the night.  It may be somewhere different than our backyard.  One of the birds that is left had a bump on his neck.  I do not know what kind of birds they are, but the mother bird looks like the birds that we are feeding in the bird houses that my dad and I put up.

by Charlotte Amundson, age 6

Day 20: May 26, 2012
My mom and I looked up on the internet and we saw a map where House Sparrows live. House Sparrows would mostly live all around the United States, where we live.  The mama bird looks like a House Sparrow from the pictures on the internet.   The picture of the babies also look like our bird.  I think we have a House Sparrow.

 
by Charlotte Amundson, age 6
 
Day 21: May 27, 2012
GONE!

Comments