Skip to main content

Hallmark day

The Hallmark holiday of the year... Valentines day.  Although it has long been one of my least favorite holidays (thank you Junior High), it is Charlotte's favorite.  She loves LOVE and the idea that we have a day set aside for just that purpose thrills her, well at this age it does, she hasn't hit Junior High yet.

With this all this passion, I attempt to suppress my resentment and try.

We have stated having dinner with the Ackermans on Valentines Day.  I think this is mostly because Carrie and I have a long standing wish that our children will spend Valentines together- FOREVER... if you know what I mean.  This was dinner at their house- cause Carrie is super cute.  Her super cuteness helps to hide my deep resentment.

So as I said, Charlotte loves this day.  Long before Valentines day was on my radar, she was plotting and planning.  Just after Christmas (no joke- "before it was on my radar") Charlotte came and told me that she was going to make all of her Valentines for everyone in her class by hand and not buy them.  As she had been super not impressed with last years Hello Kitty Valentines.   Now, I am not one interested in ME spending dozens of hours creating Pinterest worthy Valentines.  But her spending the time... sounded fine to me.  As soon as January hit she began her creations.  Each one she intentional made for a specific friend using whatever glitter glue and puffy stuff we had (believe me when I say I am a little embarrassed about how much glitter supplies we actually have "on hand" in this house).  She would usually make one every day, each time telling me as she worked what she liked about each of her friends.  This friend was really funny and then would tell me the joke that he said the other day, or this friend was a really great artist and would describe the picture she had created in art class.   I kept preparing myself for the day when that one kid would come up that she didn't like, or couldn't think of anything nice to say about them.  
It never did. 





Comments