Skip to main content

Mexico

"Passengers should always fit his or her own mask before helping children, the disabled, or persons requiring assistance."

Heard this my entire adult life, and always chuckle at its absurdity.  Before kids, I knew that I would love them to the extent that I would give my life.  So, why in the world in the event of an airplane plunging into the depths of the icy ocean, would I not put the air masks on their sweet faces first.  After kids, I not only realized I love them to the extent that I would give my life, but would also go through any torturous act of maiming, burning, or Braveheart-like act if my kids need it.  Without blinking... oh, that one too!  I would never blink again if my Claire needed me to. 
Passengers should always fit his or her own mask before helping children, the disabled, or persons requiring assistance."  I struggled every time I would hear the sweet sticky voice of the airline stewardess tell me to put my mask on prior to my kids.  Yeah, right lady- I love my kids.

So we went to Mexico, without our kids.  

And learned that perhaps the airlines knows something, that in raising young babies we had forgotten.  That we need to take care of ourselves so that we can be the best for those babies who need us.  They don't need us tired, worn out, and not communicating with each other.  They need us at our best, they need us to put on our 'masks' so that we can help them learn to put on theirs.  

In the story of our lives, there is this one particular couple.  They, well... we will call them 'Stacy and Rodd' (they are kind of private folk and don't like their name all over the internet) they are kind of our Fred and Ethel.  It's not cause we get to spend the day to day with them anymore.  It makes me sad that we don't, but we don't really have to be right down the hall.  
Maybe its because we have simply known them the longest, they have been able to stand us for years- so they win!   Or perhaps it is because they have seen the darkest parts of our marriage (from a particular game of Spades that will NOT be recounted on this blog, to some very long and dark journeys).  Or is it cause we can laugh so hard with them that I have actually thrown up (in a bush) and peed my pants (on strangers).  It also could be the deep respect we have for their values, who they are striving to be as parents, people, and followers of Christ- to be near them is to be inspired.
 
At any rate, when your Fred and Ethel say let's go, well... you go.  And you begin to understand how deep friendships can run.
 







Comments