Skip to main content

the airplane and the 2 year old

Charlie and I had spring break last week. We were both in need of an adventure so we were off to NY to see Nana and Grandpa... Papi... Gramps.... we still don't really have a name for him.

We got to the airport early, I didn't want to be running through the terminal carrying a car seat with moments to spare. Turns out we got there too early. Also turns out that I just didn't want to be carrying a car seat through the terminal at all. So we "made camp" by the gate and meet a few friends.








Charlie is really good at bringing the party with her, I think she truly believe that the most fun place in the world is wherever she is at the moment.

(Also please note that she is wearing a luggage tag... because I am terrified of crowds and a 2 year old that enjoys hide and seek)





She also clocked in some community service time by cleaning some windows. That killed about 15 minutes and made us just a little prouder of St. Louis (1 window at a time people).





I now realize that as a mom there is actually little control over what you can do to your child if behavior gets "naughty". Time out is hard in those laboratories, planned ignoring is quite unfair to the occupants of seats 15A- 45E, and removal from the situation is hard without a proper parachute (of which we did not have).

So I decided to be proactive. She didn't have time to be naughty, because she had a new Hello Kitty coloring book, and new care bear figurines, and a new magni-doodle and her new Barbie and new books and her favorite snacks.... I just bought good behavior at Target, and I will not be ashamed.




For all you who think I took the cheap way out, talk to me after you sit next to a 2 year old on a plane that dumps her milk over your head and screams in your ear for 45 minutes, of which believe me, we are very much capable of.




And then joy of joys, Papi or Grandpa or the "Old man that eats our toes" met us at the airport. We had a great time and I promise to post some picture of our NY adventures soon.

Comments

Rebecca said…
What a great idea for a luggage tag! I will have to employ that technique later...

and gotta love Target, have no shame!
amy said…
NEVER be ashamed. I would buy almost anything to keep my children occupied on a plane. Sometime- when I get over the embarrassment- I will tell you about Reagan on our last flight to FL.... sigh.
shmaynor said…
I'm laughing out loud....Charlie is a party!
Hey, I love to read about your adventures. Charlie does sound like a lot of fun. I would love to meet her.
Well, we will fly to Norway this summer (2 hours flight) with our boys... I bet that will be a party too. :-) Will do the luggage tag trick as well.
The Wagners said…
Lisa,

This is further proof. You are a genius.

Big Wags