Skip to main content

Pregnant

I see the face, the toes, the nose and still I don't really believe it. Cause you see, I am not "supposed" to get pregnant. I have issues. Actually some pretty major fertility issues, and lots of them, 7 different reasons in fact that medically proclaim I "shouldn't" be able to get pregnant. Charlotte isn't "supposed" to be here either, but after 4 years and countless drugs and surgeries we got her. I tried not to ponder the miracle too deeply, I wanted to just take her and run. But almost immediately thoughts of having another one came... and I had to deal with this issue. Why does God give to some and withhold from others?

We tried for 3 years after Charlie, more surgeries, more drugs, and more prayer. Prayer of faith, prayer of determination, prayer of desperation, prayer of confidence in his provision, prayer of solitude, prayer of community... you get the picture. Then after 2 failed IVF's and a new 8th reason why I "shouldn't" get pregnant: my eggs were gone and even with the medication that the Octo-mom was on, the new fancy fertility Dr. couldn't make anymore. I gave up. My body was exhausted after 7 years of cutting and poking and hormone rages, my spirit was finished with the whole stupid emotional ride. I had a great kid, an amazing husband and a wonderful life. I needed to start living it. So I did it... I let go.

For the first time in 7 years I didn't chart, I didn't take a pill, I just got on a plane with my family and headed for the islands. I have to admit, I wasn't even praying for it anymore... but others were. And then it happened, we were walking by a Chinese restaurant in the Miami airport and the smell made me want to throw up. Jacob looked at me, and we knew. We knew that God is bigger than the box we put Him in, we knew that whatever we do is never more than who He is, we finally knew what "in His time, not ours" actually means. All those "shouldn'ts" and "couldn'ts" just weren't as big as He was.

Why did it happen AFTER I gave up? I still don't know, I still don't get it, and I have never been more convinced that God doesn't make sense.
And that original question, Why does he give and withhold... even after being apart of the getting, I know less, than I did before. But I do know He is here, I know He is good and I know He listens even when we are too exhausted to keep asking... and really is there anything more to it than that?

Comments

Woogie said…
Congratulations and God Bless!
Lisa, thank you for writing such a beautiful example of what's really important. As I read I felt like you were describing our same journey. I hear so many stories about people who get pregnant after they stop trying but they've always just been stories, not real people that I know personally. I'm so very happy for you all.
JoEllen said…
Beautiful :) I love you, Lisa, and I am so happy for you! Sometimes we do just have to "let it go" for the universe to give us what we want and need.
Amanda said…
I love you guys and have tears streaming down my face...even though I heard the story from Katie awhile back there is nothing like seeing that sweet little picture....a reminder of GOD'S LOVE & GRACE HE BESTOWS on those HE LOVES!!!

I can't wait to meet that sweet little baby!!!!
K.M.L said…
I am so happy for the entire family! Congrats!!!!
Brian said…
Glory to God!

We look forward to hearing about this little one on here and maybe meeting you all some day. Next summer?
Katie said…
Hurray hurray!!! What a beautiful post! Thank you, Lisa, for being transparent for us. I couldn't love this story anymore than I already do. Your story increases all of our faith in a good and holy God. Miracles still happen every day. Thank you friend. I adore you!
Deb said…
God is good! And I am glad we both can proclaim it with a new sense of wonder!
Sandy said…
Lisa, you amaze me, God amazes me. I cried when Katie told me, Ike and I cried together as we read your message. God is faithful and that says it all. We will be so happy to continue to follow your family blog. Praise God for your wonderful miracle and may you and your beautiful family walk in all the blessings of the Lord. Hope to see you when we make it to STL.
Lys said…
This is so exciting. I don't know you and I barely know your hubby, my hubby had a few classes with him in the past. But I shed a little tear for you and just wanted to give you a big hug. Our God is so big! Congratulations!
Kym said…
Congratulations Lisa! I'm so excited for you guys (although slightly worried about what we will do without you at work!!). Thanks for reminding me that the ability to have a baby without trying/intending to should be seen as a blessing and not a problem.
Ackerman family said…
Baby Amundson is beautiful and looks just like you! I am so excited for you, Jake, and Charlie! Your story is beautiful and can be applied to so many areas of so many people's lives!
Love you!
Carrie
amy said…
love, love, love this story! we are so happy for your family!!! can't wait to meet the newest amundson!
Kyle Luke said…
Congratulations! Our story is so similar to yours so I can relate to your frustration . . . and now your shock and awe! Amazing . . .
The Malones said…
Praise God! We are so happy for your new blessing and we know Charlie is going to be a great big sis! Your story is amazing and gives hope to many! God is good!
Shannon Kitchen said…
What an incredible testimony to God's faithfulness!!! He must have some pretty important plans in store.... :) Congratulations!
Sharon said…
So excited about your little miracle and praising God with you!!!
Rebecca said…
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story.
The Wagners said…
Wow...wow...wow...
We are thrilled for you guys. Praise God! Much love to you.
Jack said…
Congrats what wonderful news!
Jules said…
Lisa,
I haven't read blogs in almost a year. My family was telling me about this blog and I decided to open it up tonight and read it. This blog has touched my heart. I have to admit that I am sitting here 3 states and 9 hours away from you guys crying so hard I sware you can hear me. I am so incredibly happy for you guys and everything you said in this blog can be said throughout MANY things in life. I struggle ALL of the time with the "what ifs", the "should haves", and with the wonderment in waiting for God to hear my cries. What an absolute blessing your words just conveyed to me. He is listening and it's all about HIS timing. For His timing is perfect. And this child will be perfect for you guys because you guys are relishing in GOD'S timing. Thank you, Lisa for these words of understanding and encouragment. I can't express to you how happy I am that despite all of the setbacks, you have overcome. CONGRATS!!